- Tickets: £10/£8
- Company: The Theatre Chipping Norton
The Road Behind, The Road Ahead is a unique project created by The Theatre Chipping Norton to explore the history of the Suffragette movement, and what it means to us today. In the age of #metoo and gender pay disputes, female equality remains one of the most hotly debated questions of our day.
Join us for an evening of rarely-seen drama from the Votes for Women movement – a stripped back production of short plays and songs that helped to shape public opinion and remain relevant, gripping and funny to this day.
The live performances are partnered with a thought-provoking photographic exhibition and originally commissioned pieces of sound-art and music that reflect on the experiences of equality from a range of contemporary women from across Oxfordshire. From teenagers to retirees, students to professionals, children to working mums, join us to reflect on how far we have come, and how far we still have to go.
There will be a post-show Q&A with speakers:
- Professor Senia Paseta. Senia is Co-Director of Women in the Humanities at Oxford University whose current area of research is the history of women and political activism in the Britain.
- Dr Naomi Paxton. Naomi is a performer, writer and researcher whose doctoral research explored the world of theatre professionals to the suffrage campaign. She edited the Methuen Drama Book of Suffrage Plays. Naomi is Knowledge Exchange Fellow at the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama, University of London.
- Dr Sos Eltis is an Associate Professor in the English Faculty, Oxford University, and a Fellow and Tutor in English at Brasenose College, Oxford. She has written a number of articles on women’s suffrage literature and theatre, as well as articles on Shaw, Coward, Pinter, Beckett, gothic and sensation literature.
- Members of the cast and creative team.
Parking & Access
Patrons with a disability are eligible for the concession ticket price for each show (if applicable), plus one free companion ticket. To book this, contact the ticket office: firstname.lastname@example.org or 01865 263990.
There are a number of Blue Badge parking spaces nearby on Beaumont Street, and more on New Inn Hall Street and St Giles.
The closest car park is Gloucester Green Car Park, accessed via Gloucester Street.
If you have any questions or concerns, the City Council’s Access Officer can be reached at 01865 249811.Car parks in Oxford Blue Badge information Public transport in Oxford
There are two entrances to the Old Fire Station: 40 George Street via the foyer, and on Gloucester Green via the shop. Both are step-free. If you are coming to a show, we ask that you use the George Street entrance, as the Gloucester Green entrance is not always open.
There is level entry to the foyer of the Old Fire Station, and step-free access to the main Theatre (where most shows take place) and Studio space via lift. All spaces in the building are wheelchair-accessible via lift apart from the Theatre balcony and the Loft. If an event is in the Loft, this will be clearly stated on the event’s web page.
If you are a wheelchair user attending a sit-down show, space will be reserved for you. If you are attending a standing gig, please contact us (call Alex on 01865 263980 or e-mail email@example.com) and we will talk with you about your needs.
There are six steps leading up to the Loft space. If you would like to discuss hire of the space, or any of the events taking place in the Loft, please get in touch.
There is an accessible toilet on the ground floor, accessible via platform lift. Other toilets are in the basement (accessible via lift).
All types of assistance and guide dogs are welcome at the Old Fire Station. It would be great if you could let us know in advance if you will be bringing a working dog to any performances – just e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will warn visitors on the website and in the foyer of the venue if a performance is going to contain strobe lighting. If lighting affects you, and you have any concerns, please call Alex on 01865 263980 or e-mail email@example.com.